Re: consumer vs pro minidisc

Subject: Re: consumer vs pro minidisc
From: Tanya Nu <>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 18:23:34 -0500
Hi all-

Thanks Walt, for your info. I have a basic question regarding consumer vs
pro versions of minidisc recorders.  I concur with Walt that it makes
complete sense in this and any other recording endeavor to work within the
limitations of what finances will allow.  A few sources off this list that =
have asked about this topic have told me that consumer minidiscs are someho=
inadequate, while most people have said they are just fine. People against
comsumer minidisc recorders have this fat not revelaed exactly what the
problem with them is supposed to be, while those who use them seem to feel
they work "just fine" (though I am not sure how much field recording thye
actually do with them- need to ask further).

Keeping in mind Im not trying to go from newbie to Dan Gibson with a single
purchase, is there any real reason to feel consumer mini discs are
inadequate? I would rather think that features such as the ability to set
gain levels during recording and the quality of mics used would be more of =
factor to consider at this stage then some inherent deficiciency of the
consumer grade minisdisc format.

Is there something specific I should look for in my minidisc player?

Any thoughts/ideas appreciated.

Thanks!
Tanya