new member

Subject: new member
From: Tanya Nu <>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 15:38:19 -0500
Hello- Ive just joined this list as a complete beginner to field recording
techniques. My background is as a composer, nowadays working mostly in
digital electronic medium.  One of my interests is sound design, purely
"homegrown" sounds for use in my own music. I bang on cans, make funny
sounds, manipulate them , distort them, etc.  So my "recording experience"
is limited to the realm of my basement project studio and a whopping arsena=
of two microphoensIve always had an interest in natural sound, not just in
terms of the beauty of the individual sounds, but the resultant natural
"compositions" and how they are perceived by listeners. Ultimately, one of
my interests is exploring the relationship between compositional structures
and natural sound aggregates and relationships found in nature as well as
man made environments.

There's certainly a history of composers going to nature for inspiration.
One of my greatest early compositional influences was Olivier Messiaen, who
created compositions for acoustic instruments (mostly) that imitated bird
sounds- he himself being an amatuer ornithologist who went out and
"transcribed" bird song notationally.  He used this concept in various
stylized ways.

Ive been itching to go out and harvest sounds for so long, its amazing I
have not yet done so. Actually I know that before Minidiscs became so
commonplace and inexpensive,portable DATS were all that was commonly
available, and they were priced prohibitively at the time I looked into it.
THey're still the same price, it seems...

I am currently sifting through information sent to me by members of my musi=
list for people who use Digital Performer software on a mac platform. Also =
found this list and all the info on naturesongs. My current goal is to find
a relatively inexpensive way to get started with the modest goal of
exploration. Before I go and buy a Telinga setup for example, I should
figure out what I can record effectively with more modest setup- explore it=
limitations, figure out exactly what I want to record the most, etc.

So since I am a blank slate here, nothing anyone on this list tells me coul=
possibly be useless- I am in the gathering state.

Any guidance greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Tanya