Re: new member

Subject: Re: new member
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 17:16:25 -0400
Tanya Nu wrote:

> Ive been itching to go out and harvest sounds for so long, its amazing I
> have not yet done so. Actually I know that before Minidiscs became so
> commonplace and inexpensive,portable DATS were all that was commonly
> available, and they were priced prohibitively at the time I looked into i=
t.
> THey're still the same price, it seems...
>
> I am currently sifting through information sent to me by members of my mu=
sic
> list for people who use Digital Performer software on a mac platform. Als=
o I
> found this list and all the info on naturesongs. My current goal is to fi=
nd
> a relatively inexpensive way to get started with the modest goal of
> exploration. Before I go and buy a Telinga setup for example, I should
> figure out what I can record effectively with more modest setup- explore =
its
> limitations, figure out exactly what I want to record the most, etc.
>
> So since I am a blank slate here, nothing anyone on this list tells me co=
uld
> possibly be useless- I am in the gathering state.

You appear to have some microphones, you will need a recorder that's
portable. As you have noted, minidisc is the less expensive way using
one of the walkman style MD's. DAT is rapidly going away.

I don't know what capability your software has. Probably the nicest
software for recording into a mac from your minidisc is Bias' Peak.
There is a LE version.

I started out frog recording with a Shure BG4.1 mic and a Sony minidisc.
I next built a parabolic mic, which I used for several years before
going to a Telinga. I've since gone to a HHb Portadisc.  There is a
photo of my original parabolic here, along with a design for a simple to
build version based on the Telinga reflector. (or other reflectors)
http://frogrecordist.home.mindspring.com/docs/quickparabolic.html

I'm now in the process of setting up some new mic arrangements,
primarily to record whole frog chorus's as opposed to individuals. Or
whole soundscapes. All a outgrowth of what I've already recorded.

The point is that the best way is simply to get out there and start
recording without spending more than you have to.  There is no universal
best equipment, and you need to gain experience to know what sort of
recording you want to do. You will make better equipment choices that
way. The higher end equipment is costly.