Re: New to list and interested in grasshoppers

Subject: Re: New to list and interested in grasshoppers
From: "Veljo Runnel" <>
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 19:09:59 +0200
Hi Sami!

Greetings from Estonia!

I have recorded grasshoppers and bush crickets several years for an
internet project. There are those big and loud bush crickets which I
have recorded with cardioid mics (AT 4041 - very nice high tone, but
too much hiss) from several meters away. But then there are smaller
bush crickets (Conocephalus dorsalis - I think this species must live
in Finland also) and grasshoppers which need either shotgun, parabola
or close recording. Most of them sing in the grass and you can't get
close enough with cardioid (without touching the grass). And they are
mostly very easely frightened, so you can't get close anyway. I have
practiced passive recording - put the mic in the grass (where some
grasshoppers are around) and waited. Once there was a strange
grasshopper who (which?) couldn't resist chewing the foam cover of
the microphone. The loud sound :) of its mouthparts ruined the
recording. I tried to chase away this guy, but it returned again and
again. What a good-tasting foam it must be...

Veljo Runnel

from Estonia

http://www.loodusheli.ee
http://www.elfond.ee