Re: New to list and interested in grasshoppers

Subject: Re: New to list and interested in grasshoppers
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 15:25:06 -0000
Actually what Rob describes, sounds like he recorded at to high of a
gain and got the digital overload artifact.  Sony Minidisc are not
good when the pitch is high and you wanted the AGC to control the
gain.

Actually because of the want of visualizations of "bug" calls I do
not recommend minidisc and yes I like and use minidisc a lot.  Many
of these calls you will find to be broadranged sometimes as great as
4,000 through 20,000.  It sounds fine to the ear when played back on
minidisc but the compression will make the visualization look strange
on the high freqs that are often chopped out.

You also have to be careful on loud playing of these calls as you
will not hear the the very high and loud when a medium volume low
pitch is also present.  This makes it possible on an amplified
recording to actually play recordings that are dangerous to your
hearing.  If you want an example of this I can post a "bug" who
sounds reasonable but when a filter is used to cut out all freqs
below 15,000 it becomes painfully shrill.

I also would recommend an omni mic or a hemispherical mic for this
purpose.  For a recorder I would recommend that you start with a
cheap laptop (used) maybe a 233 mhz pentium.  I also would just use
the built in sound card of the laptop because most of what you will
do will have a great signal to noise ratio anyway and you have time
as these guys seldom fly away when calling.

Rich Peet

--- In  Walter Knapp <> wrote:
> Rob Danielson wrote:
> > Hi Sami--
> >
> > Welcome. Interesting project! One thought others may be able to
> > substantiate or refute. One can encounter peculiar distortions
when
> > recording very hi Hz sources with DAT and MD.  I've encountered
this
> > numerous times when close micing field crickets and grasshoppers
with
> > flat response mics. The result sounds as if two or more
frequencies
> > are beating against each other making lower Hz pops and other
> > artifacts. I'd consider renting a good mic, an MD recorder and a
good
> > reel to reel recorder for a day and run some tests.  A used, reel
> > reel Nagra might be fairly affordable. Record at the fastest
speed,
> > 15 ips.  The Jukebox 3  is Mp3 right?.. This seems least likely.=20
Rob
> > D.
>
> Often those beat frequencies are quite real, and yes they exist.
The
> individual animals don't call at exactly the same frequency and the
beat
> frequency is generated between the calls of two animals. In fact
I'm not