Re: New to list and interested in grasshoppers

Subject: Re: New to list and interested in grasshoppers
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 13:06:35 -0400
Rob Danielson wrote:
> Hello--
> I don't believe its over mod. It can happen with one critter on both
> DAT and MD and is of course more evident with multiple singers.
> Marty, any chance those saturated, hi, Hz's could cause some sort of
> phasing distortion? Veljo, I assume you're not getting this
> distortion, what medium do you record onto?  Thanks! Rob D.

Is this a case of seeing multiple reflection paths from the environment?
The higher the frequency, the more such effects would be evident.

I once recorded some gray treefrogs that had located holes in a loose
stone wall above a pool. They had obviously chosen the holes as natural
megaphones. But there was a lot of odd phase effects there with all the
possible paths, and they are not that high a frequency.

The other part could be that at high frequencies the waveform is a very
jagged sample. There could be interactions there as well. Which would be
artifact.

Digital over mod is fairly easy to find by sonogram as it spatters
banding all over the frequency scale. Looks kind of like harmonics, but
too close together and both up and down from the actual.