Re: Re: mayah flashman compactflash recorder

Subject: Re: Re: mayah flashman compactflash recorder
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 13:24:52 -0400
 wrote:

> I doubt very much if Mayah will be implementing AAC or MP3Pro at any time
> soon. The Flashman is designed for broadcast use , and is not that 'pro' =
> machine anyway. I don't know if any of you have actually seen one, but
> it's certainly not up to serious professional location recording use. It'=
> a very plasticy and lightweight handheld unit, with several pieces which
> look like they would easily break under any kind of usage. I may however
> be biased !!

You are probably right on. People frequently bring up these things
designed primarily as consumer mp3 players. Just having a sound input
hardly qualifies them for quality nature recording. They don't even
compete well with a walkman minidisc.

I'm willing to discuss them, but won't be changing from my Portadisc.
There's a whole lot more to a good recorder than that it has a sound
input, or that it can transfer files fast to a computer. In fact that
last part is way down the list of things needed, if it's needed at all.