Re: HHb Portadisc question

Subject: Re: HHb Portadisc question
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 13:46:20 -0400
Klas Strandberg wrote:

> Excellent Nagra idea! I never noticed that. I wish there was a similar
> "black line" on all DAT's and MD's.
>
> Using Tascam DA-P1 and Sony D10, you can say that this line is the same a=
> no 3 on the wheel, but what do you say to a walkman-type MD user?

When I was using the MZ-R30, I researched just what each bar in the
level indicator means. They are specific dB levels. The MZ-R30 also had
a bar display for the setting on record levels. The Telinga could
overload it, as we have discussed, though it has a switchable
sensitivity which helped. I normally recorded the louder stuff with that
on the less sensitive setting. For more normal stuff I'd set it on the
more sensitive setting to maximize the reach. And was often into gain
settings that showed the noise floor.

I know I could set the 1/3 level on the MZ-R30 safely. Even 1/4 was
fine. I don't think I've ever gone below the 3 mark on the Portadisc,
typical recording with the Telinga there is 7-8 for reaching situations,
and 4-6 for loud chorus.

But there's another thing enters into this and we have discussed this
extensively. Note that with the Nagra you were setting the level so that
the meter was reading full because that's what worked best with analog
tape. With digital, as we have discussed, you should set the reading
lower. And this is exactly what I'd do with the MZ-R30. In fact I'd set
it lower for the loud chorus situation than I would for the quieter
pickups. The loud chorus would be where I'd tend to need more headroom.
So, as I noted, these are not Nagras and the same setting has a
different meaning.

When I think about it, if I was using meter peak as the setpoint, then
that would be a much louder sound at the 1/3 setting, more likely to
overload the pre. But, because of my setting practice, the pre is seeing
about 20dB lower levels than the Nagra was seeing. That's, of course,
assuming the meters are comparable in what they are measuring.