Re: Probably a record mic usage

Subject: Re: Probably a record mic usage
From: Marty Michener <>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 14:10:43 -0400
At 01:13 PM 8/6/02 -0400, you wrote:
>I'm not anti to a shotgun, particularly for closer work. But do get
>caught often having to point out that a shotgun is a directional filter,
>not extra gain. To get good reach out of a shotgun requires
>amplification, which makes a good shotgun expensive as both it and the
>pre must be expensive low noise models unless they are only to be used
>very close. There are plenty of folk that attribute more to a shotgun
>than it can do.
>
>Probably my biggest problem with a shotgun is that they are mono, or at
>least all the designs of suspensions and windscreens are mono. When I
>manage the time, I'm going to set up the two MKH-816's as a stereo pair
>with appropriate suspensions and windscreens. I've pretty much become a
>stereo recordist as this gives so much better recordings for picking out
>individual frogs. I'm wondering if I need to go to a foam barrier
>between them, or if that's even practical. Any way I do it is going to
>be a big package to cart around.

I do everything stereo as well, two ME-67's, as see my post last week . .
.pink foam mount . . . but the rig is getting to be large enough that it is
only slightly less inconvenient that a parabola, instead of much less . .
;^)   I have no web site yet, so I'll email you a picture.

my very best,

Marty Michener
MIST Software Associates
PO Box 269, Hollis, NH 03049

coming soon : EnjoyBirds, bird identification software for all AOU area.