Re: Probably a record mic usage

Subject: Re: Probably a record mic usage
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 20:44:18 -0400
Klas Strandberg wrote:

> Walt, I have heard of people using two Telinga dishes put together with a
> suitable fibre in between. It's said to be very effective in situations like
> below, to keep noise away.

I didn't have my spare dish along, but even the single layer did help.
As did getting just as close as I could to be able to turn the gain down
as much as possible. I was keeping the dish just barely above the top
leaves of the bush. I went all around it until I found the best I could get.

I knew going down I was going to be in a residential area, so was not
surprised with what I found. Except that the frogs had softer calls than
I'd expected.

I'll try to get some of the filtered recording up on my page for the
frogs. Considering the conditions it's not too bad.

I have, at times, considered casting a layer of foam on the back of the
telinga dish. It does let more sound through than I'd like. I never roll
it up anyway.