Re: Probably a record mic usage

Subject: Re: Probably a record mic usage
From: Dan Dugan <>
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 10:38:59 -0700
>The other unique thing about these frogs is that their calls are not
>confined to a single frequency pattern like other Georgia frogs. Though
>each call is fairly narrow in frequency, they cover a couple thousand
>cycles in variations call to call with no apparent pattern in doing so.

Very interesting! I wonder if they tune around other frogs singing in the area.

-Dan Dugan

>From   Tue Mar  8 18:22:35 2005
Message: 1
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2002 10:47:28 -0400
From: Walter Knapp <>
Subject: Probably a record mic usage

On my trip to south Georgia this last week I managed to record a bit of
the Greenhouse Frog, a tropical species that's moved into the state. It
was the reason for the trip. They arrive in potted plants coming up from
Florida, where they are already established. They are unique in that
they have no tadpole stage, but lay eggs in damp places that develop
directly into frogs. Here in Georgia there are only three known
locations, all in the middle of residential areas. The site I used was
on St. Simons Island at the home of a DNR employee.

They will call if it rains, so we ran a sprinkler. Their call is so soft
that most calls you can't hear if they are at your feet. And I was
having to deal with the various house air conditioners in the
neighborhood. The frogs were in the leaf litter under some thick low
bushes in the yard. I ended up recording with the Telinga from a
distance of about 2', the tops of the bushes, probably something of a
record for close mic work with a parabolic. The reflector helped to cut
down the noise from the air conditioners. It's still going to take a lot
of filtering.

The other unique thing about these frogs is that their calls are not
confined to a single frequency pattern like other Georgia frogs. Though
each call is fairly narrow in frequency, they cover a couple thousand
cycles in variations call to call with no apparent pattern in doing so.

I also photographed these frogs and there's new photos up on my site.
The entire site had to be reorganized due to a change in how my ISP
allots space. I just got that done last night, if anyone runs into any
bad links, etc. please let me know:
http://wwknapp.home.mindspring.com/GAFrog.Toad.html

With that I'm down to one Georgia frog I've not recorded, Brimley's
Chorus Frog. They won't be calling until February or so, and are very
rare in Georgia, I've been trying for them for a couple years already.