Re: Re:MD data recovery (was Marantz PMD650 July 29)

Subject: Re: Re:MD data recovery (was Marantz PMD650 July 29)
From: Aaron Ximm <>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 13:36:57 -0700 (PDT)
> --- In  Walter Knapp <> wrote:
> > The real way to handle the possible damaged TOC is for a machine to
> have
> > a method of forcing a rewrite of the TOC to list the disk as one
> long
> > continuous track. Current recovery methods involve fooling certain
> > models of MD recorders into doing this using a disk switching
> technique
> > that's not sanctioned by the manufacturers.
>
> Does anyone know of someone who can do this service for me? I'm still
> hoping to recover data on a TOC-corrupted MD. The data is valuable
> enough that I don't have the nerve to try it myself--from

David,

If you're willing to send me the disc I can try to read it with the
system I have from EDL (linked from my 'gear I use' page, else google for
"minidisc transfer editor").

The system scans MDs for audio data and can contruct TOCs along the lines
Walt suggests.  I haven't had to recover data this way yet ~ but I'm
certainly willing to give it a try for you.  There shouldn't be any risk
except the mailing back and forth, perhaps UPS Ground would be good.

If you're interested, my mailing address is on the 'contact' page of my
website...

Best regards,

 aaron

  http://www.quietamerican.org