Re: Probably a record mic usage

Subject: Re: Probably a record mic usage
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 17:28:55 -0400
Marty Michener wrote:

> At 01:23 PM 8/6/02 -0400, you wrote:
> >I will admit that somehow I'd not thought beforehand about air
> >conditioners, though it was a obvious problem I'd face. If I were to do
> >it again, I'd probably have some foam along to set up shields. The air
> >conditioners are all on automatic controls, so are constantly coming on
> >and cutting off. But it was not to be that all of them would be off at
> >the same time.
>
> If you tried them and the Telinga worked best, that was obviously the way
> to go.  A lesser soul would undoubtedly have given up with the whine those
> AC units make! . . . .

I don't question results, though I'm sometimes surprised. And I've not
the slightest idea why it should have come out that way. I simply tried
everything. Well, except shooting out some transformers....

I was told it was a nice quiet site, but that was by folks that don't do
nature recording. Those air conditioners were very loud, sounded like
the compressors were pretty worn.

I just put up a new mp3 into the Greenhouse Frog webpage's call links.
This is the filtered version, I'm not completely happy with it:
http://wwknapp.home.mindspring.com/docs/greenhouse.frog.html

And just in case you think I've been fooling you, I put up a short clip
of some of the raw audio from the two tracks that were used for the final:
http://frog_recordist.home.mindspring.com/naturerecordists/GFrog.mp3
That's the good stuff!

The first part of that one is using the Telinga from about 5', the
second half is the 2' track. The MKH-816's were worse than the 5' one.

The dog was about 100' away, the air conditioners as close as about 30'.
There were probably a half dozen air conditioners within 75'.

Giving up was not really a option. There are only three known sites, all
the same problems.