Re: Waterpoof enclosures

Subject: Re: Waterpoof enclosures
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2002 16:20:28 -0400
Mark Griswold wrote:

> > Meanwhile, I'm in the early stages of fiddling up a design for a full
> > weatherproof enclosure for the Portadisc, something that you can toss it
> > straight into the swamp and not only will it float, but will run fine,
> > you could record with it floating around. I'm looking at basing it on a
> > Pelican 1420 case right now to save time in building. Then I'd only have
> > to put a view window and waterproof links through the lid. All this to
> > be able to take it safely out in my kayak in the swamp and use it there.
> >

> Take a look at the "Otter Box". Waterproof w/ a clear lid.

Largest Otter Box is 3" X 2" X 7". They are similar to the Pelican
cases, but smaller. Much too small to fit a Portadisc. Could be used as
the base for a functional enclosure for a walkman MD, however.

The other problem is the same one I'd have with most Pelican cases, they
tend to open along the small dimension, like a briefcase. The edge of
the small dimension on the Portadisc is where you find the display, and
also the controls that are not on the remote that I'd need to access.
Only ready made case I've found that's got a lid the other way is the
Pelican 1420, and luckily it's not a bad size relative to the Portadisc
though it only comes in opaque black. If it fails to work out, I'm going
to be into making a entire dive enclosure. Traditionally those are made
from glued together pieces of plexi. In any case the tricky part is
things like the waterproof method of adjusting the level control and
such like.

It's very easy to transport gear in these cases, it gets much more
complex when you want to run the gear without opening the case.