Re: stereo recordings

Subject: Re: stereo recordings
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 21:37:48 -0500
Wil Hershberger wrote:

> Vicki,
> There is also the Jecklin disk, http://www.josephson.com/tn5.html
> It is very easy to make from plywood, foam and mic clips.  There is a
> suggestion about using a lamb's fleece cover to further reduce high
> frequency reflections.  The disk with Senn. ME62 omnis gives a very nice
> binaural recording.  If you set it up with the mics facing toward the
> main subject there is a small amount of rejection to the rear, but not
> much.  It is best to set it up with a long cable and get away from it so
> that you are not recording yourself.  The flat profile makes it easy to
> carry and it fits in a back pack.
> However, there is no PZM effect as with the SASS.  I have found in most
> situations there is enough ambient sound to mask the slight inherent
> noise of the ME62s.

There is a variant of that which is PZM.
http://www.mbho.de/english/mbc-622.htm

I have no idea how well it works, would be happy to test if someone
sends me one :-) But, I'll probably have to make my own if I want to try
it. In spite of what it says, the page above is not in english.

Core Sound is also selling the Jecklin Disks and the Schneider Disk:
http://www.core-sound.com/jecklin.html

Mention was also made of the Schoeps Sphere, which is here:
http://www.posthorn.com/S_kfm6.html

For 360 Surround they add two figure 8 mics to that:
http://www.posthorn.com/S_kfm360.html

This seems like it would be kind of like Bernie's dual M-S surround setup.