Re: stereo recordings

Subject: Re: stereo recordings
From: "richpeet" <>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 02:15:53 -0000
--- In  Wild Sanctuary <> wrote:
> Don't mean to muddy the brew, here, but I think there are some
> misconceptions with regard to the ways in which stereo and 360
sound are
> being applied.

Well since we were talking stereo I thought 360 was implied to mean
non-directional receive. But am guilty if 360 now means 5.1 or some
other group of techs.

> STEREO is a class of systems whereby a recording is typically made
using
> two microphones. It includes (A) XY stereo recordings where two
mics of the
> same type, usually omnis or cardioids are used in a coincident
> configuration although there are a number of other configurations
possible.
> (B) Binaural, which, itself is divided into sub-classes including
straight
> binaural (as, for instance, the Neumann or Aachen head
configurations with
> omnis implanted in the ears...

Boy, nobody gives me credit. You forgot the binaural sub-class
of "Peet Block-head". But I guess it is hard to name a product that
can not be patented or be able to talk people into spending a bunch
of money on. But then maybe since the J disk is over $100 there might
be hope.