Re: stereo recordings

Subject: Re: stereo recordings
From: Lang Elliott <>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 08:17:26 -0500
Vicki:

Which method of producing realistic stereo soundscapes is superior? It all
depends on how you intend to play back your recorded material. Coincident
stereo recordings sound fine when played using a conventional speaker setup.

Binaural recordings, on the other hand, contain the interaural time and
level difference information. This makes for very good headphone listening
and allows for excellent results when speakers are placed more widely, even
straight out to the sides. Also, binaural recordings lend themselves well to
processing with crosstalk cancellers, which I've described in detail in
earlier posts.

I'm clearly a binaural enthusiast, but admittedly there are good arguments
for other types of stereo recording as well, including M/S and
near-coincident techiques. Bernie is an advocate of M/S and has done great
work with this approach. And don't forget the stereo parabolic option, which
addresses the need to home-in on a small portion of the total soundstage.

Remember that one very positive aspect of binaural setups using omni mikes
is that omni mikes are much less sensitive to wind in comparison to
directional mikes. For this reason alone you should seriously consider the
SASS and similar setups based on omni mikes.

It all boils down to what you're after. If you're primarily recording for
the movie industry, you maybe should use M/S because it's pretty standard in
that industry. However, if you're recording for yourself or the production
of CDs, then the SASS or other binaural techiques are very attractive
options, especially if you desire a wide and spacious playback soundstage.
On the other hand, if you want to produce DVDs for people with surround
sound systems, then you face an entirely different set of choices.

So which is "superior"? Well, it depends.

Lang