Re: stereo recordings

Subject: Re: stereo recordings
From: Wild Sanctuary <>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 16:46:10 -0800
Don't mean to muddy the brew, here, but I think there are some
misconceptions with regard to the ways in which stereo and 360 sound are
being applied.

STEREO is a class of systems whereby a recording is typically made using
two microphones. It includes (A) XY stereo recordings where two mics of the
same type, usually omnis or cardioids are used in a coincident
configuration although there are a number of other configurations possible.
(B) Binaural, which, itself is divided into sub-classes including straight
binaural (as, for instance, the Neumann or Aachen head configurations with
omnis implanted in the ears), the SASS Lang prefers and uses, and a few
lesser known types that are a bit esoteric for this discussion. (C) M-S, or
Mid-Side.

It should be pointed out that none of the stereo systems offers a true 360
degree listening experience by itself. To me, a realistic 360 degree
experience means that you can place the listener within a non-headphone
tethered sound field and anywhere he/she turns his/her head, they will hear
the sound accurately portrayed from that perspective. 360 degree sound is
listener-oriented and determined just as sound arrives at our ears in the
real world.  That can be currently accomplished by discrete 4-channel
recordings or (as we have recently tested) two M-S systems placed
butt-to-butt, and perhaps some other method(s) not yet well-known or
explored like, perhaps, a tetrahedral array (giving the added advantage of
height as well as depth of field on the horizontal plane).

Each system has its own advantages and disadvantages because none does all.
Some are easier to use in the field than others. Some offer the listener a
rich on-site monitoring experience that engages him/her. Some offer a
post-production experience guaranteed to cause listeners to swoon. Some
provide a wide range of production and post-production options. Some are
limited in their range of patterns. Basically, it all boils down to what
one determines one wants to hear in your "mind's ear" and at what stage in
the process.

It's all a matter of taste. Test a whole bunch out and go with what pleases
YOUR ear. I recommend using systems that are durable, easy-to-use, provide
a good to excellent signal-to-noise ratio, and a reasonable to great
illusion of space. Except for the specially configured SASS system
described by Lang (and which we WILL explore when we get the bucks to do
it), we use all types and all configurations depending on the application
and what we wish the end result to be. Call me an end-resulter, if you
wish. (I won't be insulted 'cause I'm just wired that way.) I go for what
the illusion will sound like on a CD or in a public space installation so I
don't necessarily monitor for the pleasure of the moment in the field. I'm
happy enough to be there in the first place. Rather I monitor just to be
sure that the M-S recording on tape or disc is as fine as it can be knowing
that in the studio it will be close to what I imagined it should be, then
detach the headphones. The M-S system we use is more difficult than other
systems because it is not intuitive. What you hear using a simple pre-amp
in the loop is clearly not a representation of what can be got in the
studio or lab when doing the final mix. So I usually recommend simpler
stereo systems to begin with.

This discussion reminds me of a story told in my last book (INTO A WILD
SANCTUARY, Heyday Books).  Elizabeth Wilson was a Nez Perce tribal member
who knew Chief Joseph (1836-1904) meeting him at her graduation from
Carlisle Indian School in Pennsylvania in 1904 where he gave what was to be
his last speech at the commencement. During a break in our session while
collecting oral histories on the reservation in Idaho in the early 70s, she
guided me around a graveyard near her home pointing out different family
members and telling some of their fascinating histories. "You know," she
said at one point, "each of my family members belonged to many different
churches. When the missionaries came they brought Catholicism, LDS, three
or four Protestant groups, all competing for our souls. We fooled 'em real
good, though. Joined 'em all." "Why on earth did you do that," I asked
naively? "You white boys know nothing," she quipped, her 91 year old voice
rising to the occasion, repeating a sentiment I heard often during those
sessions. "We get a little power from the Catholics. We get some from the
Mormons. And some from the Baptists, and even some from the Moravians. And,
of course, we got Indian religion. With all that power, how can we lose?"

Lesson the long way 'round: use different mics and find one or several you
like.

Bernie Krause