Re: stereo recordings

Subject: Re: stereo recordings
From: Lang Elliott <>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 08:04:29 -0500
Remember to try different speaker playback setups (along with headphones)
when you do the runaround test.

If you use the conventional equilateral triangular (60 degree) speaker
setup, then everything will be collapsed and scrunched into a small
forward-facing soundfield. If you place speakers almost directly out to the
sides and record using a binaural-type setup, you will possibly can get a
very spacious 180 degree soundstage with some sense of things happening
behind. Over headphones, you potentially get 360 degrees, but remember there
will be a strong tendency for rear signals to sound like they're forward,
and for signals from straight ahead to sound as if they're coming from
directliy overhead or in your head.

Lang