Re: Re: Sony PC with audio Minidisc and DVD-RW

Subject: Re: Re: Sony PC with audio Minidisc and DVD-RW
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 20:53:25 -0500
richpeet wrote:

> I store and transport my mics in floating, weather proof, sound
> proof, humidity proof and impact proof, plumbing pipe. For under
> $5.00 per mic you can build them at any hardware store. I highly
> recommend them.

Note that humidity proof does not include condensation. But, pipe is a
very good container.

I'm still working on what you store a mic plus zepplin windscreen in.
(it really does not matter if the mic is in it or not you still need to
store/protect it) Maybe pipe, but it's getting pretty heavy in that sort
of size. Ideal would be something in a design that provides the
protection but you could be ready to operate quickly.

> Ideal size does need work, I don't really have a clue on the ideal
> yet.

Since what you are building is basically a jecklin disk, reading their
documentation might help.

> and ps. Marty, I beat myself up weekly about being underdocumented on
> prior years stuff. I got the LNS software in the middle of last year
> and it is good. Maybe I will get caught up on last year sometime but
> my push now is to document all current recordings in text and let my
> last years backlog go for now and rely on the spoken documentation at
> track ends when I am backtracking in the future.  I have learned the
> hard way and will not let last years poor documentation happen again.

Famous last words. What happens to me each year is I start out saying
I'll enter things as I record. Then the season hots up and virtually all
my time is in recording. If I stop to enter into the database I loose
recording time and site coverage. So, about August of each year or so I
come up for air, and a whole pile of work at the computer. By then I
have a large pile of the site record cards and a pile of MD's that have
not been transferred. Happens every year, there is a season for the
database.

I went looking for the LNS software but could only find the $140
Birder's Diary. It's very sighting specific and windows only. Can you
give a few clues? Is this what you are using? Even if that was mac, it's
kind of poor for frogs.

I have evolved my current database out of experience in what I find
recording. It is, for instance, set up to record multiple species on
each entry, because that's how I mostly find the frogs. I have 8 species
space in it now, the same as I do in my field cards. So far that's done
ok. The beauty of using Filemaker is that changing a single number in
the format stuff and tweaking the layout would add more if I needed,
without having to redo the database. This year I finally added a
dedicated field for mic type as my choices are widening. I used to do
that in my catchall notes section.

I've resisted setting it up to play each track, though that's possible
in Filemaker. That would make it a huge thing unless I split it up. It
does, of course, have the catalog number of the disk and track. The way
I have the database set up it would handle birds, bats, mammals,
whatever had a scientific or common name. Though right now it's got it's
species menu's limited to Georgia's frog list. I have to manually type
in anything else.