Wind protection for mic

Subject: Wind protection for mic
From: Callan Cohen <>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 14:10:44 +0200
Hi,

I've been recording bird (and frog) sounds for a few years on a relatively
amateur level, although I've found many of the recordings most useful for
birding, frog atlassing and scientific purposes. I use a Sennheiser ME67
(the long shotgun mic with a K6 power pack) and have recently moved to a
Sony minidisc M700(?) from my trusty Sony cassette recorder TCM5000EV.

I have a question for the NatureRecordists regarding prevention of wind
distortion. I initially used the foam cover that was suppled with the mic
but then invested in a "fluffy dog" Rycote Softy because I found that some
environments were too windy. I've been less than impressed with the
Rycoyte's performance (although it is definitely a step up from the supplied
foam) and find it often unacceptable bulky.

I'm leaving soon on a birding trip to Cameroon, Central Africa, where the
majority of my recording will be of birds in the relatively wind-free forest
interior. Because both the Rycote softy and the supplied foam cover are very
bulky, I'm considering making a compact wrapping for the mic from a high
density foam, perhaps 0.5 mm thick? Does anyone have any advice concerning
this? What density does the foam need to be? How thick should it be? The
thicker, the less wind but also the less signal, I assume? Any advice will
be gratefully received!

With many thanks,
Callan
Callan Cohen                   Percy FitzPatrick Institute
        of African Ornithology,
Tel: +27 21 683 1898             University of Cape Town,
Mobile: +27 83 256 0491               South Africa.
Fax: +27 21 671 2990

For African birding & travel information, guiding & pelagic trips, visit:
BIRDING AFRICA www.birding-africa.com
CAPE TOWN PELAGICS www.capetownpelagics.com
Email: