Re: Re: Wind protection for mic

Subject: Re: Re: Wind protection for mic
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 02:31:32 -0500
Brian Boldt wrote:

> As a newcomer to recording, everything I've done so far has been with a
> homebuilt parabola and a $20 pair of tie-tack omnis. I've been impressed by
> the results thus far but also realize there is a lot of room for
> improvement.  I have a new and better dish I intend to start using this
> spring, and am wondering what my best options for mics are. I don't want to
> break the bank, at least not at this point -  any opinions on what my best
> options are for $100 or less? Or is anything in that range not qualitatively
> superior enough to what I have to be worth the investment?

In that price range I'd probably be choosing one of the Sony Tie Tack
mics. That's what I used when I was using a homemade parabolic. If you
car using a minidisc that has plug in power, Sony makes mics that run
off that, thus avoiding any sort of extra battery to worry over. Their
noise levels are not the greatest, but that was not that big a problem
with a parabolic for the sort of frog recording I was doing.

I used the ECM-T145 last.

Sennheiser makes some pretty good tie tac type mics that you could
probably get in that price range on eBay. I'm sure there are others,
too.

Primarily I expect your $20 tie tac's have not as good a frequency
response as the next step up. All you can do is compare the specs.