Re: Sony PC with audio Minidisc and DVD-RW

Subject: Re: Sony PC with audio Minidisc and DVD-RW
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 17:39:43 -0500
Klas Strandberg wrote:

> Sorry Claudio, but this is a matter of what kind of "professional sound
> work" you mean.
>
> Again: There is a difference between DAT and MD, but:
>
> 1/ The recording MUST be made with the very best open mic there is, like
> MKH-20/40/50 or     Telinga MPS1.
> 2/ The recording must be made under absolutelly ideal conditions - no noise,
> no wind etc.
> 3/ It must be replayed under the very best of conditions, and I don't mean
> "a very good      hi-fi set" from the local shop.
>
> How often does that happen?

Never in my experience. Or so rare as to not matter.

You might also add:
4/ The recording must not undergo any kind of post processing. Which
will certainly destroy what you got with 1 & 2.

Even doing all that, good luck consistently finding the difference, and
it being due to the compression and not the pre's, variations in
components and so on.

I think, when I hear someone quote "professional sound work" that it's
just the same as blindly following the herd. And a herd that does not
have any logical reason for where it's going. If professional means
those that make money off it, it's the money that drives their work, not
the sound quality.