Re: Inexpensive Cabled microphone - what should I use?

Subject: Re: Inexpensive Cabled microphone - what should I use?
From: "Charlie Escher" <>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 19:40:22 -0000
--- In  Rob Danielson <> wrote:
> Hello--
>
> Done quite a bit of this. A PZM mike is well suited for your use
>due to wind rejection and its easy to shelter it from moisture with
>a small roof.  Radio Shack sells them for around $60, comes with a
>20' cable (1/4" plug terminated). It can be rewired with an xlr
> connector, other modifications are on the web.

Radio Shack discontinued their Crown-licensed PZM a number of years
ago. They do still sell a different boundary mike which is reputed to
be not as good. The Realistic PZMs are still readily available on
Ebay though, usually for around the original price of $60. A Crown
PZM can be had there for ~$100 or so, IME. It's worth the extra
money, IMHO. Most of the nicer Crowns require phantom power though.

        --Charlie Escher