Inexpensive Cabled microphone - what should I use?

Subject: Inexpensive Cabled microphone - what should I use?
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 12:36:03 -0000
Hello Group,

This is a first time post here so please excuse my ignorance.  I
would like to set up inexpensive monitoring of sounds outside my
house.  I was thinking of either a radio microphone or a cabled
microphone (but most likely cabled because it may be less
expensive).

What is the least expensive complete configuration that I could use
effectively?

I am not looking for extremely high quality, but I am looking for
effectiveness, as the sound audio signal will be fed into my desktop
PC for processing and recording.  What I mean is:

1.  Inexpensive relatively broad frequency response microphone
(whatever a cheap PC sound card could handle).  Can I get something
used under $30, and is this realistic?  Does it need to be a powered
microphone? Will a radio microphone be more useful?

2.  Some type of cabling setup that is inexpensive to create.  I can
do connectors myself.  Is RG coax cable (thin or whatever) always
recommended?  Where do I get cable and connectors at an inexpensive
source?

3.  Do I need to have a preamp?  What are the length limitation of
cables if I do not use a Pre-amp?  Is there an inexensive pre-amp
that I could buy used?

Thanks in advance for any advice.