Re: Inexpensive Cabled microphone - what should I use?

Subject: Re: Inexpensive Cabled microphone - what should I use?
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 10:13:47 -0600
Hello--

Done quite a bit of this. A PZM mike is well suited for your use due
to wind rejection and its easy to shelter it from moisture with a
small roof.  Radio Shack sells them for around $60, comes with a 20'
cable (1/4" plug terminated). It can be rewired with an xlr
connector, other modifications are on the web.

I think you will need a mic--> line preamp unless there's a mic input
on your PC. There is a mic input on most macs.  You might be able to
get by inputing a $40  Professional Sound (4061 panasonic capsule)
lavaliere mic directly into the line in on your pc card, because this
mic is pretty hot,..  you'll need to get their $20 power supply. For
a little more, you get stereo lavs from Professional sound.  They can
be protected from the wind by surrounding them with a layer of thick
fake fur There are plans for decent quality preamps on the web,
cheaper preamps can be really noisy..

Best--
Rob D.

  = == = =