RE: Re: Processors vs price

Subject: RE: Re: Processors vs price
From: Marty Michener <>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 10:50:50 -0500

Recordists:
Renaming files:

The simplest for me is  Alt-F M   (which is right in the menu, if
you look for it) and you are editing the old name.  I find the "highlighted
the whole field on entry" default very irritating.  How many times do you
EVER rename the extension?  So I automatically type:
         Alt-F  M [HOME]
so it puts the cursor at the beginning of the box, like civilized data
editing programs always have.

This IS two-three steps, but at the keyboard, not the mouse.  Since
most people type > 100 characters per minute, it is < 2 seconds to
be in edit mode.

I rename files about 20 to 100 times per day.  I usually
hate Windows and its implementation of the unreliable
mouse - my last two computers have come, to my dismay, with
MICROSOFT mouses, and both died within a year.  They
were right in bio 101, mice do multiply and die at great speeds.
How many times in windows have you gotten the error message
[you cannot copy a directory to itself] because your double clicking
was not timed precisely enough?  Or, as my mice have done,
one press causes mostly one but often two clicks to the OS.

There are many, many instructions that are presumed
for both the mac and the Winbox, which, as far as I know
you can read about almost nowhere.  Like teaching a
child to drive - nobody looks for the shift lever on the left.

Who knows this one? Like win: switch between open programs:

Hold Alt down, and press TAB, this makes a quick icon box in
the middle,  then TAB again as may times as needed.

When you let up Alt you are in the last program highlighted on
the list.  TRY THIS.

As I repeatedly say, I hate windows but to use a mac, as I found
out last year, there are so many presumptions that I could not possibly
find out, that it was virtually impossible for me to set up a simple printer
without a "mac expert" present.  I am for establishing a web site with:

PC tips for mac users
         alongside
Mac tips for "PC users.

This week I am actually hiring my nephew to help me with
this project. He uses Linux on both his G4 and his PC notebook.

Marty Michener
MIST Software Associates
75 Hannah Drive, Hollis, NH 03049

coming soon : EnjoyBirds bird identification software.