Re: Re: Processors vs price

Subject: Re: Re: Processors vs price
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 17:00:53 -0500
Marty Michener wrote:

> I rename files about 20 to 100 times per day.  I usually
> hate Windows and its implementation of the unreliable
> mouse - my last two computers have come, to my dismay, with
> MICROSOFT mouses, and both died within a year.  They
> were right in bio 101, mice do multiply and die at great speeds.
> How many times in windows have you gotten the error message
> [you cannot copy a directory to itself] because your double clicking
> was not timed precisely enough?  Or, as my mice have done,
> one press causes mostly one but often two clicks to the OS.

And here I am using a Microsoft optical mouse on my G4, and a logitech
cordless optical mouse on the Vaio. There is nothing wrong with
Microsoft optical mice, it's what you are connecting to them. Between
the Microsoft opticals and logitech opticals, at least as far as the
ones I have, they run the same. I got the logitech as Microsoft has
decided we want our optical mice in giant size with a pile of buttons.
The small two button plus wheel one on my G4 is no longer available.

I certainly agree, windows does not know how to handle the mouse cursor.
Erratic movement, often clicks when I did not click. It does work
correctly when I use windows in Virtual PC on my G4, where the mac is
actually handling cursor movement.

> PC tips for mac users
>          alongside
> Mac tips for "PC users.
>
> This week I am actually hiring my nephew to help me with
> this project. He uses Linux on both his G4 and his PC notebook.

Sounds like a worthwhile project. Though Linux on a G4 is not at all Mac.

As I'm trying to give windows a heavy duty workout to learn it, I'd
definitely be a customer.

And for anybody wondering what I'm doing with windows nowadays, we have
a new sewing machine that does embroidery. And I have the software to
digitize for it, but it is windows software. I've just gotten it to give
me something that I can waste thread on to see how it looks, here's a
peek at how it displays onscreen (software was running on the G4 in
VirtualPC, I've not figured out screen dumps on a regular PC, so used
the mac OS to screen dump the windows screen):
http://wwknapp.home.mindspring.com/naturerecordists/990076-Auto.jpg
And the original photo:
http://wwknapp.home.mindspring.com/naturerecordists/990076-Cope's-Gray-TF.jpg

Great fun, a whole new challenge. Something to do when the frogs are not
calling. I'm thinking of embroidering calling frogs on the strap for my
Portadisc.