Sony MD cautions

Subject: Sony MD cautions
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 01:11:09 -0000
Caution(s) to Sony MD users:

I have been using a Sony MZ-R90 for field recording for a couple
years now, and encountered a new difficulty on a recent trip.
After inserting the "collection" disc I've been using (heretofore my
method has been to use a disc until it's nearly full, then save it
with all its original data), the message "DISC ERR"  appeared in the
recorder window. Consulting the owner's manual, I find that this
message means "disc damaged or does not contain proper recording or
editing data". The blithely offered solution: re-record. (!!!)

Of course I'll back up religiously in the future, especially after a
valuable and unrepeatable session.  For the present though, I'm not
sure whether the problem is with the disc or the MZ-R90. I'm not
aware of any damage to the disc.  Anybody had this problem before? Is
the data on the disc somehow accessible? I'll also post my query to
the MD list.

Other problems I've encountered with this otherwise great unit:

        2)If you don't "end-search" before pressing "record" , the
disc is erased. Most users soon become aware of this risk.
        3)The battery door opens accidently and spills that $50
battery out.

Best regards,
David
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&