Re: Sony MD cautions

Subject: Re: Sony MD cautions
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 18:03:03 -0000
Thanks Doug, Jim and Rudy for responding--I'll let you know if the
data recovery trick works--
Aloha,
David

--- In  Doug Von Gausig <> wrote:
> At 06:11 PM 11/18/2001, David Kuhn wrote:
> >Caution(s) to Sony MD users:
> >
> >I have been using a Sony MZ-R90 for field recording for a couple
> >years now, and encountered a new difficulty on a recent trip.
> >After inserting the "collection" disc I've been using (heretofore
my
> >method has been to use a disc until it's nearly full, then save it
> >with all its original data), the message "DISC ERR"  appeared in
the
> >recorder window. Consulting the owner's manual, I find that this
> >message means "disc damaged or does not contain proper recording or
> >editing data". The blithely offered solution: re-record. (!!!)
>
> I would certainly try to read the disc in another machine before I
did
> anything else. After that, I'd visit http://www.minidisc.org -
somewhere on
> that site is an article about recovering lost files from bad discs.
It
> details how to write a new TOC that will allow you to read files
when the
> existing TOC is damaged, which is what your problem probably is.
>
> Doug
> Doug Von Gausig
> Clarkdale, Arizona, USA
> Moderator
> Nature Recordists e-mail group
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/naturerecordists

>From   Tue Mar  8 18:22:21 2005
Message: 17
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 08:31:46 -0800
From: Rudy Trubitt <>
Subject: Re: Digest Number 425

>I have been using a Sony MZ-R90 for field recording for a couple
years now...the message "DISC ERR"  appeared in the
recorder window. Consulting the owner's manual, I find that this
message means "disc damaged or does not contain proper recording or
editing data"....Is the data on the disc somehow accessible? I'll
also post my query to the MD list.

You probably got this answer on the MD list, but just in case: Sounds
like a damaged table of contents. DO NOT RECORD anything else on that
disc, your previous audio is probably still there. The problem is,
the player can't find its way to the audio.

On some recorders, such as the SHarp 702, you can "trick" the MD into
letting you remove a disc without it knowing. then, you put the
"damaged" disc in and perform some simple TOC edit, like renaming a
track. Then "eject" the damaged normally, and the first disc's TOC
will be written onto the second disc, which is currently in the
recorder. This clobbers the corrupt TOC, replacing it with the TOC of
the first disc.

Of course, if this works, your track IDs will have nothing to do with
where your recordings actually started and stopped, but you can play
the whole disc off to another recorder and your audio is saved. I've
done this once, and it worked for me.

Rudy

      *    ...  http://www.trubitt.com   *