canberrabirds

Re: Information & ID of a Duck?

To: COG chatline <>
Subject: Re: Information & ID of a Duck?
From: Christine <>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2018 02:10:24 +0000

Hi Julie,

If Geoffrey is right about it being the one from West Belconnen Pond (which I think quite likely), then this was a duckling from last summer, and I have some very very poor photos from 2nd Jan 2017, The mother was a Mallard type, probably a hybrid, and the other duck in your photos is probably one of its siblings, as the ducklings were very close for over a year, and seen together (as in Geoffrey's photo), just the 5 or 6 of them, usually a little apart from the other mallards.

A couple of years before there was a Mallard type female with 12 ducklings - 6 yellow and 6 brown, but I only saw them once as tiny ducklings, so assume they all did not make it.
So yes, the domestic "Mallards" are breeding in the wild at WBP.

​​