canberrabirds

Re: Information & ID of a Duck?

To: 'Geoffrey Dabb' <>, 'Alison' <>, "" <>
Subject: Re: Information & ID of a Duck?
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2018 08:25:29 +0000

Yes. Worth noting that Muscovy Ducks have also been bred into many varieties but as far as I know they are entirely separate from the Mallard types and Mallard hybrids. They look very different also. I don’t know whether the food industry treats them as separate. I believe that male Muscovy Ducks will aggressively try to mate with whatever other species of ducks they may encounter and also chickens and turkeys and quite likely small dogs and cats and whatever else that moves and is about the right size but such matings do not lead to fertile offspring.

I also learned somewhere that although male baby ducks will get imprinted on and prefer to mate with something like their real (or foster) mother, females instinctively recognise and prefer to mate with their own species. Of course I don’t know if that is universally true but if it is the typical, it will act to reduce hybridisation (but not prevent it).

Philip