canberrabirds

Noisy Miners v Indian Mynas

To: "Mark Clayton" <>, "'Geoffrey Dabb'" <>, <>
Subject: Noisy Miners v Indian Mynas
From: <>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 00:00:55 +1100
Mark has raised a few interesting points. When CIMAG was set up in 2006, there was much debate re “Indian” or “Common” in the title. Personally, I was a stickler for the correct name (Common myna), but the strong consensus was that “Indian myna” was much more widely understood by the community in general, that it might help avoid confusion with  “Noisy Miner” and particularly that it would enable a pronounceable acronym. I believe that all the 40+ groups that have been set up subsequently from western Victoria to far north Queensland have used “Indian myna” in their names. Clearly, in papers and even brochures, we all need to ensure that we point out the correct name early in the text.

The issue of human modifications to the environment leading to native species becoming pests comes up all over the place, most controversially here with kangaroos. It is also  an issue with Noisy Miners who thrive in environments where humans &/or their livestock have degraded or fragmented the top storey or removed the understorey, excluding the small insect eating birds.  In the ACT we have to accept that as a community we have established splendid nature reserves which are occupying land that potentially could be sold for many hundred million dollars as real estate over coming decades. It is unthinkable that we would not then manage and protect that ‘investment’ and to preserve, as far as possible, all their biodiversity. Fenner School work in the Riverina has clearly shown that new plantings/restoration projects with mixed species attract the little birds,not Noisies. Short of vilification of our ancestors or self flagellation, I don’t see what we can do beyond learning from past mistakes!

On another issue, a member of CIMAG committee recently visited Fiji where in one exclusive resort, Common/Indian mynas were in such numbers and so aggressive, that it was impossible to enjoy a meal in any of the (unenclosed) restaurants without being invaded!

Bruce.

Sent: Monday, December 15, 2014 11:00 AM
Subject: RE: [canberrabirds] Noisy Miners v Indian Mynas

One thing I should have added, please everyone get the introduced birds name correct, it is the Common Myna (no H after the A). CIMAG just wouldn’t sound the same if it was called CCMAG! Believe it or not, a correct name can be important for all sorts of reasons, especially if in a judicial sense as I saw when working at CSIRO. People often used the wrong name in court cases, or it was spelt incorrectly, and generally the case was thrown out because of it.

Mark