canberrabirds

Noisy Miners v Indian Mynas

To: <>
Subject: Noisy Miners v Indian Mynas
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2014 17:57:29 +1100
I did not know and was curious about "There are also Miners, a totally different family, in South America." so I looked it up in a book. Twelve species, part of family Furnariidae, genus Geositta - tempting to wonder if that means they sit on the ground (no I'm joking - Sitta is the Nuthatch), especially as the next listed species are called "Earthcreepers".

There was a huge program to eliminate the (native) Thylacine and pretty close to it for Koalas and Platypus (for fur). So native fauna is (or was) certainly not seen as sacrosanct.

As for the last point, I disagree and don't think people (which people?) are ignoring that point, as Mark alleges. I don't know of anyone who is seriously interested in these problems who is not aware of the causes. Any or at least most comments about these issues are cognizant that these are human caused or influenced problems. Also sadly history and time only moves forward.