canberrabirds

OT: Geckos in Canberra

Subject: OT: Geckos in Canberra
From: "Paul T." <>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2010 23:19:01 +1100
At 08:17 PM 3/11/2010, you wrote:
Hi Paul,
There are two species of geckos native to the ACT. Both are good Kookaburra food.

1/. Stone Gecko (Diplodactylus vittatus) found in rocky areas usually under rocks. 2/. Marbled Gecko (Christinus marmoratus) found under bark, in stumps etc and sometimes in Canberra gardens in lattices etc.

A photo would be handy.

Peter et al,

Yes, a photo would be very handy..... even handier if I'd actually had my camera with me. <sigh> I did have the gecko sitting on my hand for a while so I could get a good look at it. Thanks to all for their info on the two species found here.... I would think it was a marbled gecko. Amazing when you look on google just how variable the colouration in this species it.

Thanks heaps to all. I'll have to try to keep an eye out at home here to work out whether we have geckos or not. Given I've never seen them before, I am doubting that we actually have any at my place. Would be nice if we do. Do any of you who have them here them calling? If so, how obvious are they?

Thanks again everyone.

Cheers.

Paul T.
Higgins, ACT