canberrabirds

Crested Pigeons' nest & comment on Currawongs.

To: "'Canberra Birds'" <>
Subject: Crested Pigeons' nest & comment on Currawongs.
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 19:21:49 +1100
The "extra" graph in The GBS Report (page 106 in the 18 year edition and page 90 in the 21 year editions) shows clearly part of the problem. Whilst the abundance of the Pied Currawong appears to have decreased dramatically in Canberra in winter, the summer abundance has increased dramatically in Canberra. It is during the summer months when most of the nest predation occurs, as this mostly happens when the PC have young. Actually as far as winter numbers go, the reduction could be a bit of an illusion, as the species now has permanent territories in Canberra and so the population is more evenly spread all year, which reduces the former big flocks.

It is very likely that the Pied Currawong is the major predator of birds in Canberra. Very likely followed by the Raven and then all the raptors combined would probably be less (although most raptors take adult birds, rather than chicks). It would be hard to measure where cats fit in that scale. So what can be done about the PC? Dr Harry Recher did a TV documentary about this several years ago (based in Sydney). The ABC replays this fairly regularly. Main thing is not to feed them, and to remove the fruiting bushes (esp Pyracantha & Cotoneaster) that sustain them in winter. Should we engage in more active control? That is hard to answer.

I would also point out that the Crested Pigeons arrived in Canberra in the mid 1980s and numbers only started to increase (above the "rare" category) at the start of the 1990s. They have done very well during the time when the PC increased its summer prevalence, in spite of the obvious predation of nests by PC (and others). Blackbird, Starlings, Mynas & Red Wattlebirds are also still doing well. I'm not so sure about the smaller ones.