canberrabirds

Crested Pigeons' nest

To: "Lia Battisson" <>, "'Canberra Birds'" <>
Subject: Crested Pigeons' nest
From: "Charmian Lawson" <>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 15:55:25 +1100
Why cannot something be done about the currawongs? They are a cruel and voracious pest responsible for the loss of many of the birds which have visited our garden. I see them daily chasing crested pigeons, wattle birds, willy wag tails, peewits and magpies, and I have seen one hit the head of a male Gang gang causing its feather so fly. They have killed young crested pigeons and peewits which have nested in our trees, and one of the young male Gang gangs which was here until recently, but hasn't been seen, along with his brother, for about a week, had a savage wound on its cheek and neck, which I attribute to the currawongs. There are more of these horrible birds around our area than of anything else. They are killing the young birds and I think there will soon be, if in fact there are not already, more of them than of almost any other bird. To my mind they are a far greater threat to our wildlife than cats or Indian Mynahs. I know they are native birds, but I want to see other native birds as well. I really think they need somehow to be controlled.

I wonder what other chatliners think?

Charmian Lawson
Holder