canberrabirds

Crested Pigeons' nest & comment on Currawongs.

To: <>
Subject: Crested Pigeons' nest & comment on Currawongs.
From: Maurits Zwankhuizen <>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 10:59:28 +1000
As Sue mentions below, urbanisation is an undeniable factor in this.  We have created a new ecosystem and thrown endemic species out of balance while also introducing new ones.  Most species adapt to varying extents, others suffer and then there are currawongs, ravens, mynahs, etc, which thrive.  But it's not their fault - like us, they are merely more adaptable than other species.

Maurits Zwankhuizen

Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 07:07:25 +1100
Subject: RE: [canberrabirds] Crested Pigeons' nest & comment on Currawongs.

It’s not even just that people intentionally feed them, Pied Currawongs help themselves to dog food and other food sources associated with urbanisation. I agree with Charmian. I’d love to see them culled. Nothing but PCs and Ravens have been able to breed successfully in my GBS for years now, and they’re always lurking around looking for nests. Their population is artificially elevated in the suburbs. Why shouldn’t we artificially restore it to a better balance? Controversial I know, but kangaroos are culled, and they’re native animals too.

Off to blitz along Apollo road in the rain.

Sue Beatty