canberrabirds

Collared Sparrowhawk in Calwell

To: "Roger Noel" <>
Subject: Collared Sparrowhawk in Calwell
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 16:18:14 +1000
Hi Roger,

I wonder from what you write, are you confusing the difference between adults and juveniles with the difference between the two species? Then there is the differences between sexes. You did think the bird in your photo was a juvenile but it is clearly an adult. That is much easier to decide than what species it is. Any difference in colour pattern between the 2 species is so minor and variable it isn't a useful feature. Except that the Brown Goshawk has an intermediate plumage phase that the Collared Sparrowhawk doesn't have. Most of the books show much the same features.

I once had one in my neighbour's yard sitting in thick shrubs eating something and although I could see it clearly for a long time and I think I got some film of it. I could see most of its colouring but couldn't see its face, tail or feet. As close as it was, I was wavering for ages, until it flew off at which point I could decide it was a CS.