canberrabirds

Collared Sparrowhawk in Calwell

To: <>
Subject: Collared Sparrowhawk in Calwell
From: "Roger Noel" <>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 17:47:48 +1000
Hi Philip

I think what is confusing me are the publications on the two birds! I accept that the bird I took a picture of is an adult CS, probably a female as her companion was much smaller and therefore I presume the male. All the publications say that the adult bird is similar in colouring to the Brown Goshawk, which I find hard to believe! The bird in my backyard didn't have a brown back or wings, but was basically grey all over with a barred chest whic turned to brown colour in the lower regions. I observed Brown Goshawks in the Healesville region just north of the Dandenong ranges with an experienced birdwatcher last year. The birds were much darker in colour, the head was much thicker set and they were bigger in size. Agreed this was in Victoria and over a year ago, so my memory might be a problem, but you only have to look at the COG Publication Birds of Canberra Gardens on page 67 - do the birds look the same? I don't think so! The Brown Goshawk is what I remembered from over a year ago in Victoria. The CS looks grey to me, although the bird is in shade! This is my first close encounter with a CS and so I tried to match what I saw to the descriptions in the books I have. All of them told me that the adult plumage for both birds was similar and brown in colour! So my immediate thought of the CS was that it might be a juvenile (in error I might add - remember I consider myself inexperienced in bird observation) I just think the books are misleading and perhaps in error! You just have to look at the photos that Geoffrey put on the website yesterday, personally from my observation the birds are round the wrong way. 1 and 4 look more like the bird I photographed. The two central birds look more like the Brown Goshawks I remember, although they are paler! One thing I have learnt from colour photography is that colour depends very much on the light of the day!

Are these birds subject to colour variations within their ranges?

The raptors are a fascinating subject aren't they?
Roger