canberrabirds

Collared Sparrowhawk in Calwell

To: <>
Subject: Collared Sparrowhawk in Calwell
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 14:57:59 +1000
Hi Roger,

For what it is worth, I choose not to look at "the COG Publication Birds of Canberra Gardens" any more than a minimum amount. The pictures on page 67 are correct and identifiable as such, although not based on colour but on the shape of head, eye ridge and tail. I would say that allowing for the differences in pose and loss of clear colour, those two photos show very similar looking birds. Many of the photos in the book are nowhere near as good in colour as were the original pictures.

In both species there is variation in the reddish colour of the collar and underparts barring and in the extent to which the upperparts are brown or grey but the colours are hard to describe and variation between individuals is probably greater than between species.

As for Geoffrey's photos, he wouldn't get it wrong and I agree with the ids. It shows how hard they are. I don't know whether these are 2, 3 or 4 different birds. I assume id was confirmed over a period of watching them rather than just on 4 isolated photos.

I think we have exhausted this topic.