canberrabirds

Fw: [canberrabirds] Weebills again

To: "chat line" <>
Subject: Fw: [canberrabirds] Weebills again
From: "Michael & Janette Lenz" <>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 20:15:57 +1000
My comments on Weebills and also Rod's were not just concerning recent higher numbers but also presence in areas where they normally don't occur, and this already over a few months.

While it is important to try to see whether own observations are in line with the general understanding we have of seasonal changes (numbers, distribution etc.) of our local birds, we should be mindful that such trends and patterns are not set in stone but can change. But it may take time before we can really tell whether certain observations are just occasional outliers from an established trend or indicators of change. The weather patterns of recent years have had a major impact on the country, including the bird life. The most recent comments on the chat line regarding the honeyeater migration (or lack of it) are a prime example. No doubt, we will see other examples in due course.

Michael Lenz