canberrabirds

RE: Fw: [canberrabirds] Weebills again

To: <>
Subject: RE: Fw: [canberrabirds] Weebills again
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 10:24:51 +1000

I’m afraid I’m not currently an active GBSer so can only comment anecdotally.  They are abundant in the eucs in the local woodlands (Callum Brae, Mount Mugga), being recorded year round.  They move into the suburbs for food in the colder months, along with other species.  This is a peak time.  The BA Atlas shows a strong northward movement for winter.  However unlike YFHES there is no breeding concentration south of Canberra.   their strongholds being to the north and west.  According to the atlas the Canberra reporting rate is steady year-round at about 20%.

As regular MFF participants they might be getting sucked into some suburbs with some through-migration by other species such as Silvereyes.  Locally, I usually pick them up in the large eucs in the street or the nearby reserve but I don’t think I have ever found them without them being at least loosely associated with some other species if only YT  Thornbills, pardalotes or a Grey Fantail.