canberrabirds

Re: Clamouring Silence

To: <>
Subject: Re: Clamouring Silence
From: "Paul Fennell" <>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 13:24:31 +1100

Hi everyone

I asked Andrew Silcocks of Birds Australia about the current Birds Australia list.  He indicated that they currently use Christides and Bowles list and have been waiting for their new updated list for some time, so they are still using Richard's Pipit and Clamorous Reed Warbler. (Christides and Bowles still use Richard's Pipit, but have changed to Australian Reed-Warbler). Until the new list is published, BA will still be using the old one.

He understands that CSIRO have published a new list which has many changes from C&B and have created new species numbers for their splits. He doesn’t  know if many organisations will be using this list. Most of their changes are not being adopted by C&B, so the CSIRO list could cause major problems (see the recent Wingspan and Emu reviews of this list). The question arises as to which list ABBBS use now and in the future.?

It looks like interesting times are ahead as to which list will be the OFFICIAL list of Australian Birds, and who will be making the running on this.

We watch with interest.  And hope that any new species names and numbers are easily updated in the COG database.

Cheers

Paul Fennell

Database Manager

Canberra Ornithologists Group