canberrabirds

Yellow tailed black cockatoos; Silver gulls; Swans

To: <>
Subject: Yellow tailed black cockatoos; Silver gulls; Swans
From: "Rod's Gardening" <>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 16:06:05 +1100
I haven't seen many recent reports on these but there were 2 flying over the Cotter Rd/Stretton Drive intersection at 8am Sat. morning as I was enroute to try and rediscover the Drongo -  (failed).  One thing I did notice while out and about on the lake was the absence of clamour from the clamorous Reed warblers compared to the activity of last week.  Perhaps the heat had something to do with it.

There are 3 active Silver gull nests on 2 boats moored in Lotus Bay.  The Yarralumla Bay chicks are growing up fast, and there are still 2 birds sitting on nests on that vessel so further addition to the population looks likely.

This morning on the western side of Black Mtn Peninsula I witnessed a very savage attack by a Swan on another swan.  I'm not sure whether the attacked bird was a juvenile unable to fly or an injured mature bird, but whichever the case it couldn't escape despite lots of wing action and lots of noise.  It attempted to escape into the reeds with the ferocious pursuer giving no quarter and the noise continuing unabated when the birds disappeared.  I don't know whether this is typical Swan behaviour but  it didn't look or sound good for the attackee.  Several hundred metres further around the peninsula on the little island near the swimming area there were 3 cygnets calling and no adult birds in sight.

Cheers

Rod

Rod Mackay
Tel.  0407 456 330