canberrabirds

Re: Clamouring Silence

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: Re: Clamouring Silence
From: "Esme Barker & Bruce Ramsay" <>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 18:40:48 +1100
I don't know whether the heat affects Clamourous Reed Warblers  or not. But Esme and I cycled to and around Lake Tuggeranong today and had a picnic lunch there. The physical and aural absence of the Reed Warblers was very noticeable - and in fact drew our attention. Normally they have been active and vocal in the patch of reeds near where we had lunch despite the time of day or the weather.

One thing I have noticed is that the cormorants (a couple of Great and 4-5 Little Pied) that were almost always to be seen on Pt Hutt Pond have abandoned it in the past week - I suppose in reaction to the amount of debris and earth that flowed into it following the huge storm of 2 weeks ago. I guess whatever they fed on in that body of water has suffocated. The cormorants (and occasionally an immature darter) were present for the 7-8 days following the storm but have since gone elsewhere. The Pond is designated as a Water Quality resource, so hopefully it will do its job and the prey species and then the birds may return.
Bruce