canberrabirds

mystery object

To: <>
Subject: mystery object
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 20:40:57 +1000

The mystery object is an article known as a 'pelican stake'.  These are carried by some pelicans for the purpose of marking their feeding zones in order to restrain other pelicans from entering them.  Younger pelicans, that is those born since 1996, the date of pelican fisheries deregulation, are unlikely either to assert exclusive feeding zones or to respect those of other pelicans.  Accordingly, the carrying of a pelican stake is a reliable indication that the pelican in question was either born before 1996 or is a member of the Pelicans' Rights League, a body which has only a small membership in the ACT, but which claims to represent some 60% of the pelicans in south-eastern Queensland and the Greater Perth area.  Now, what is this bird holding, and why?