canberrabirds

motorboats on the lake - vrooomm

To: <>, "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: motorboats on the lake - vrooomm
From: "Jenny Bounds" <>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 14:56:36 +1000
COG has put a very strong view to the NCA about this, that we want to see
proper environmental assessments done before trials, and do not support a
"suck it and see" approach.  The extent to which this activity and an
increasing number of these activities in East Basin will affect the birds
etc should be properly addressed; additionally there is the prospect of large numbers of people living nearby in Kingston Foreshores with much increased human impacts
from people using the wetlands reserve.

The NCA and Minister for Territories have now badged this as part of
'opening up the lake' and seem to have some support from various quarters if
you read the article from yesterday's Canberra Times.  Apparently, no
interest groups (apart from those supporting the water skiing etc) or
environmental groups were invited to the media event last Monday when they
launched the new recreation strategy. As far as we know, the NCA did not consult widely with environmental groups and other groups who might have concerns, and COG approached them about the water skiing issue. We have probably done all we can up to now, but are intending to ask the NCA for their environmental assessments, which they say they have done, but have not made public.

If you have concerns and want to take action, write to Minister Jim Lloyd,
Min for Territories or a letter to the Canberra Times to express your
view/disquiet.
cheers
Jenny