birding-aus

The Atlas and Yet another listing app!

To: Graeme Stevens <>
Subject: The Atlas and Yet another listing app!
From: Michael Tarburton <>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2014 21:03:30 +1100
G'day Graeme & other readers

From gleaning all the swift & swiftlet records I can from as many sources I can, I am finding that e-bird often has 2-5 records of the same group trip, and I am finding that some of these are being filtered out by the Aussie atlas but but not all. biocache can have even more duplicate entries as it takes from numerous sources, and I spend much time amalgamating duplicate entries. It gets very frustrating.

Ideally it would be best to have just one program to send Aussie data to. But little in this world is ideal.

Please do not give up placing your observations in one atlas or another, and PLEASE GIVE ONLY ONE DATE & PROVIDE THE NUMBER OF EACH SPECIES YOU SAW.

E-bird has data from the birdlife atlas and they have really messed up some of the dates - where a period is given rather a single day.

Cheers & Happy birding

Mike

Just as an aside: I notice on eBird that when browsing recent entries there are often multiple entries for what appears to be the same survey or outing. e.g. say a group of 5 observers visit a site and record 23 species - there are at times five different entries all for the same 23 species.

I do hope the Atlas moderator ditches 4 of the 5??? or we would surely be biasing abundance ratios etc. I wonder if that is the case?

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>