birding-aus

Yet another listing app!

To: Mark Gafney <>
Subject: Yet another listing app!
From: Dave Torr <>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 06:58:58 +1100
I don't ever recall launching one. I certainly have one that I wrote and
use but I long ago decided that the costs are too large as you say - unless
you get a lot of users (so you can cover costs) then it is a big hassle.
In some ways I agree that the market will decide - but on the other hand
for people searching for data the fewer repositories the better. eBird for
better or worse seems to be the place that people use - I used to upload
from my own app to Eremaea - since eBird came in I have yet to figure out
how to upload data but no doubt I will at some stage....
And as others have pointed out the way this project was "launched" by what
I regard as spam is offensive.

On 16 October 2014 22:18, Mark Gafney <> wrote:

> Dave
> I seem to remember you launched your own listing project some time ago. I
> dont see you pushing it anymore so perhaps you took it down and are
> therefore maybe a bit biased against others launching similar projects.
> I seem to remember other projects (I think BirdStack was one) which also
> came and went probably because of the costs involved in running projects
> like this. My point is that there are pros and cons to different projects
> depending on what people want from their app but probably the most
> important thing is that the data gets validated somewhere, otherwise
> garbage in--garbage out
>
> Cheers
> Mark
>

> On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 9:59 PM, Dave Torr <> wrote:
>
>> Just had a email from Konkoit who have launched yet another listing app -
>> seriously how many does the world need and how fragmented will all the
>> data
>> become if everyone uses a different system......
>> <HR>
>> <BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
>> <BR>
>> <BR> To change settings or unsubscribe visit:
>> </HR>

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>